MENU

Here Are 20 Numbers That Describe the Business of Jardine Cycle & Carriage Ltd

Jardine Cycle & Carriage Ltd (SGX:C07) released its 2016 annual report in April.

The company has a diverse business, with segments such as automotive, financial services, heavy equipment and mining, agribusiness, information technology, and infrastructure, logistics and others.

With so many moving parts to Jardine C&C, it is worth digging through the company’s latest annual report for insights on the performance of its business. I managed to pull together 20 numbers that would help investors understand Jardine C&C’s business:

1. In 2016, Jardine C&C recorded US$15.8 billion in revenue. The conglomerate also generated underlying profit of US$679 million.

2. Jardine C&C owns a 51% stake in the Indonesia-based PT Astra. The latter is by far the most important segment as it contributed 71% of Jardine C&C’s total underlying profit in 2016. Direct motor interests contributed 24% of Jardine C&C’s underlying profit while the remaining 5% comes from other interests. Let’s break down each segment next.

3. PT Astra is a conglomerate on its own with a contribution of US$499.8 million to Jardine Cycle & Carriage’s underlying profit in 2016. The automotive sub-segment is the biggest piece of PT Astra’s business, forming 59% of the US$499.8 million. Next up, heavy equipment and mining accounted for 22%, while agribusiness and financial services pitched in with 11% and 6%, respectively. Finally, the smaller contributions came from infrastructure and logistics at 2%, information technology at 1%, and property at a negative 1%.

4. In 2016, the direct motor interests segment contributed US$166.7 million to Jardine C&C’s total underlying profit. The US$166.7 million is divided by country. Vietnam was the largest at 56%. Singapore came in second with 30% while Indonesia (through Tunas Ridean) pitched in with 11%. Malaysia was the smallest with a 3% profit contribution to the segment.

5. Last but not least, the other interests segment, which accounted for US$33.2 million of Jardine C&C’s total underlying profit in 2016, comprises two main contributors: Thailand’s Siam City Cement and Refrigeration Electrical Engineering. The former accounted for 67% of the US$33.2 million while the latter contributed the rest of the 33%.

The numbers above help us size up the business of Jardine C&C and provide us with an overview of what its business looks like, and how it operates.

If you'd like to keep updated on the latest company and stock market news, sign up for a FREE subscription to The Motley Fool's weekly investing newsletter, Take Stock Singapore

Also, like us on Facebook to follow our latest hot articles. The Motley Fool's purpose is to help the world invest, better.

The information provided is for general information purposes only and is not intended to be personalised investment or financial advice. Motley Fool Singapore contributor Chin Hui Leong doesn’t own shares in any companies mentioned.